Letters of Recommendation Process
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) has made some significant changes to the letter of recommendation process for students entering the 2016 Match. For various reasons, the AAMC is no longer allowing medical schools to collect, handle or upload letters of recommendation for students applying to residency positions via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Starting with the 2016 Main Residency Match, faculty that are writing a letter of recommendation will need to upload the letter directly to the ERAS Letter of Recommendation Portal themselves (http://go.iu.edu/wpo). This page explains the new process. It also has links to resources for the faculty to learn more about the process and the changes.
If you have any questions or need anythingclarified, Michael McKenna (email@example.com) are happy to answer questions and support the faculty and students through this change in process.
Letters are to be submitted through Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) by letter writer
- AAMC is not allowing OSA to handle or upload letters
- Fellowship letters are already being handled this way
Students will ask for the letter and present a form from ERAS with a unique code and instructions
- If the students do not bring the form, remind them to enter information in ERAS to generate the form
Faculty will use this code to upload the letter as a PDF
- ERAS Letter of Recommendation Portal (LoRP)
- Faculty will need to sign up for a free AAMC account
- Directions, support and FAQ from AAMC are at this website
OSA is happy to provide support and guidance