This policy outlines the degree requirements and expectations of its learners pursuing a doctorate in medicine (MD).
The MD degree will be conferred by Indiana University upon persons who have complied with the degree requirements as determined by the faculty.
Reason for Policy
In order to participate in Commencement activities in May, all graduation requirements must be expected to be completed no later than August 31 of that year. Combined degree students will be included in the IUSM Commencement Programs and class composite in the same year in which they expect to complete all requirements for the MD degree.
The office of the registrar will confirm the following:
- Filed satisfactory evidence of having complied with the requirements for admission.
- Enrolled in all semesters (or equivalent) of medical instruction.
- Satisfactorily completed all educational objectives, competency requirements, course work, examinations, milestones and assessments as defined by the faculty.
- Maintain up to date credentials with clinical and educational affiliates (e.g. BLS, HIPAA, OSHA, etc.).
- Achieved a passing score on the National Board of Medical Examiners United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE), Step I, Step II—Clinical Knowledge, and Step II—Clinical Skills.
- Achieved a passing score on the summative institutionally-developed performance examination (e.g. objective structured clinical examination [OSCE]).
- Maintained acceptable academic ethics and professional behavior.
- At the time of graduation is in good academic standing.
- Attended required Exit Counseling for federal student loan borrowers.
- Paid all fees in full.
- The curriculum requirements shall be agreed upon by the curriculum counsel (CCSC) and are noted on the following page: http://mse.medicine.iu.edu/curricular-affairs/curriculum/.
- The admission criteria outline the technical standards for admission. Students may be required to complete a fitness for duty if the standards are compromised.
- Basic Life Support is required by most hospitals and students should maintain active certification.
- If a student does not meet the standards as outlined in the procedures it may jeopardize their ability to meet the graduate requirements for the MD.
CCSC approved on 8/9/16
Download a PDF copy here.